Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mechanical engineering thesis project


This was my BSc thesis project. I made the concept for a single seater open wheel race car. The idea was to create a historic feeling combined with modern technology like cantilever suspension, a composite monocoque and a motorcycle engine. During the project ex-F1 driver Jan Lammers was my tutor. 



When the project was finished senior motorsport automotive designer John Travis reviewed the project with me. He told me that even though some things were just plain wrong, I did look to the right aspects of motorsport design. I was the only designer on the project so all you see here was my work, guidance was purely focused on the practical aspects and project run time was one year. 


During the project I did basic concept development, exterior design, monocoque geometry development, suspension geometry and physical design, engine induction system design with variable intake stack and general 3D drawing.


6 comments:

  1. Love it! I would like to know what you used for the main frame structure. Is it a carbon fiber monocoque? With a tube frame, this would make an excellent and affordable track-day car.

    Cheers,

    Chris
    cscardinal(at)live.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and please post some more renders please. I'd like to see the car with the body on from some other angles.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an interest to do project related to automotive parts

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was wonderful that you can do this kind of model even at undergrad degree. Just think of what you can do if you study MA or PhD! And you can provide thesis help for other people who are finding it hard at the same field as you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you tell me which software tool you have used to design these images
    My Website for Engineering Designing

    ReplyDelete