Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Exams are over!


Sorry for the long wait guys! I've had a couple of exams the last few weeks, and I really needed the time.
I'll update more frequently in the future...


And to start off: the left hand cam cover is finished. Also, I have weighed all the components I had already drawn, and I assigned the correct mass properties to the parts. It gives a more realistic final weight and centre of mass in the end. Most of them were pretty darn close though.


The engine assembly with the parts shown in this post weighs about 12 kg now. Already pretty heavy if you ask me... It's all very 'robust' for an high performance engine, but I can't really do anything about it at this point without compromising structural integrity. I'll have to do the balance simulation first, when the model is finished.

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to you, Mr. de Winter, I never have dreamed of somebody who would do that in my lifetime!
    Why did you choose this particular engine?
    I own 2 Maseratis with it, planning to rebuild them as touring racing car. I have over the years collected many data on the engines drawbacks, for witch there are mostly simple solutions available, but also some good Ideas to bring it easier up to spec!
    keep up the good work
    Maseratik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you a lot! To be honest, the level of detail I'm putting in to it is a little excessive, but I like the 'wow factor' it gives and I don't mind the work.

    Powerplant selection was pretty straight forward:
    - Compact.
    - Power potential of about 250-260 kW minimum.
    - Lightweight.
    - Affordable.
    - Well designed, and good to look at.
    - I went for the four valve because of the different cilinder swirls in four valve engines.

    I find the Maserati engine is very misunderstood. A lot of people immediately think it's italian rubbish and it's just going to break down. But really, it's the injection system that's difficult to set up right, or the electrics that go bad. The engine itself is very well designed.

    So what drawbacks have you found so far? And how would you bring it up to spec?

    Greetings,
    Coen

    ReplyDelete